Hello everybody! You may remember me from such things as this blog and….well, this blog.
I’ve just come back from a three-week trip to my home town and to Japan. I spent 36 hours on airplanes and that gave me quite a lot of thinking time (I’d already seen all the movies…)
Here are some of my thoughts (in no particular order):
- A classical version of “All about that bass” is a very weird song to be pumped through an airplane’s sound system while you’re waiting to take off
- Running on a treadmill for any length of time makes me want to slit my wrists
- Taking your own pillow on a travel itinerary that includes seven flights is pure genius and complete idiocy at the same time
- The A380 is a BFP (big fucking plane) and FYI, the upstairs economy seats are the shizz
- Australian people look incredibly bogan and sloppy after spending any amount of time in Japan
- Intestines taste really good – if you can get over the weird texture
- Korean girls can get super bitchy if you get into a fight with them over the last remaining boxes of chocolate-covered potato chips at the airport shop
- Many Chinese people really need to learn how to use a toilet (please flush your used paper, don’t throw it into the little bin in the cubicle that is for sanitary napkins! It’s summer…you know how much that stinks??)
- Taking your very politically incorrect boss to a kamikaze museum on the eve of the Hiroshima bombing is never a good idea (he started singing the song, “America, Fuck yeah!” from Team America: World Police)
- I really don’t enjoy travelling by myself
- Singapore Airlines is just the shizz. Haagen Dazs ice cream, hot towels, CA who actually smile and want to help? Just take my money!
- Watching dramatic footage of the largest commercial airline crash in history (highest loss of life) that occurred in Japan in 1985 the night before your return flight is never a good idea.
- How do people have sex in airplane bathrooms? I barely have enough room in there to pee.
- Running in high temperatures /high humidity is very cruel and unusual torture
I had about five days of quality shopping in Japan after my work schedule was done. I stayed down south in Fukuoka this time (just to mix things up a bit) and I have to say it’s a pretty good base in terms of fulfilling my requirements: a really good 100 yen shop, a couple of department stores, a good bookstore, uniqlo, my go-to restaurant chains, Starbucks and several other shopping places all within walking or a quick bus/subway ride. I’d probably take M there on our next trip to Japan.
Like the true masochist I am, I tried to stick faithfully to my marathon training schedule while I was away and mostly succeeded. I gave up trying to do my 32km run in Japan (because too hot/too humid/treadmills make me suicidal) and did it when I came back but other than that I was a good girl.
So this time next week I’ll be done with my marathon and I’m sure everyone I work with/live with/talk to will say, ‘Thank fucking Christ!’ because I will finally be able to shut up about it.
Hopefully we’ll then return to our regular programming of me whining about submission/slavery and waxing philosophical about life.
P.S I just wanted to say thanks, Mr Universe, for listening to me as I willed my body to get done with its monthly girlie things a week before my marathon. I know you like cycles and routines and based on that I was scheduled to get a whole lot of cramps and some icky stuff happening the night before and on day of said marathon so a BIG, MASSIVE thanks for listening to my desperate pleas.