1. What did you do this year that you’re proud of? Completing my first marathon
2. Who did you meet this year that inspired you? I didn’t actually meet anyone irl who inspired me, but I read about James Lawrence who completed 50 triathlon events in 50 days in 50 states in America and I was floored. Also John Beeden, who at age 53, recently completed a solo row across the Pacific Ocean from California to Cairns made me think that people are awesome.
3. What did you read that you think bettered you? A lot of feminist writings and sad realities about the challenges that women face around the world.
4. What are songs that you will always hear and think of this year even when you’re listening on some contraption that hasn’t even been invented yet? Hello -Adele, How Deep is Your Love – Calvin Harris, What Do You Mean – Justin Bieber (I know…it was just in every single running mix I played…), Lean on -Major Lazer (also in EVERY SINGLE running mix I downloaded)
5. What were some times that you laughed so hard you could barely breathe? Lots of times at work when our Romanian receptionist was just so funny (I’ve started a post-it collection of her classic lines.)
6. What were your favorite movies? Not what was good, not what you had to see because of your friends or the media. What were your favorites?Hmm..well, I really enjoyed The Intern and I thought The Martian was well done. I didn’t really see a lot of movies I really liked this year, but in terms of tv shows…Outlander gets my No.1 series watched award followed by Man in the High Castle in 2nd place. I’ll also give a shout out to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (released in 2013, but I didn’t watch it until this year) as a quirky, endearing movie I really enjoyed.
7. What are some fears that you had at the beginning of the year that you overcame? Not being able to finish the marathon & not making it through a work trip I was loathing going on in November. I luckily made it through both things.
8. What were quotes that you loved this year?
It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive -James Baldwin
Love is forgiveness. And it’s atonement. And it’s basically like putting your soul in a washing machine-it’s not some gentle cycle, it’s a fierce whipping that rings you out good – Hannah Brencher
Basically anything on Wordporn or berlin artparasites (two of the very few pages I have liked on FB)
9. What are ways that you exercised self care? Ummm..I bought some hair balm after the lady at Supercuts told me I had dry hair (because she was trying to sell me $20 product, and I was like, ‘I just paid you $20 for my haircut, what more do you want?’ but then I felt bad for my hair…) and a bought a sonic toothbrush.
10. What are things you want to see more of next year? Rope, Benedict Cumberbatch, good cheesecake.
11. What are five things you did that you never thought you’d actually do? Finish training for my marathon (generally felt much harder than the marathon itself), finish my marathon, put my books on the kindle store, get though the year without killing anyone I work with, put on so much weight (not something I’m happy about but it feels like an achievement o do that *while* also training for a marathon…)
12. What were your favorite things this year? Tomb Raider, my Microsoft mobile phone (I wanted to hate it, but I love it), getting to travel proper business class (first time!) to Sydney for work, my kindle, my stretchy jeans, kiwi fruit, the xmas tree I bought and decorated for the office, M’s xmas pudding.
13. What are the most important things you learned this year? Food can be your friend. Lube is your friend when running long distances.
14. What is your favorite photo from this year?
This koala was just sitting in the tree like a boss.
15. What are five things you want to say to people you love?
- Ask if you need help
- Even if I don’t tell you I love you, I do
- The reason I don’t call is not because I’m not thinking about you, I just really hate phones
- Call me!
- Text me!
16. What are some places where you feel true joy in your life? In my bed.
17. Where do you feel most yourself? Alone, at home.
18. What were your favorite meals? So many good ones. M does spoil me. I definitely enjoyed my food at home more than any of the meals I had out. Except maybe the kebabs we get from that kebab shop. They are pretty damn good.
19. How did you calm yourself in times of stress? Chocolate and more chocolate
20. What are some compliments that you received that deeply affected you? Mostly comments left on this blog and things about my writing.
21. Who are people that you believe are bringing out the best in you? M
22. What items of clothing did you buy that felt the most you?
This cardigan is so comfy and it covers my large bottom perfectly.
23. What are you excited about leaving behind in 2015? Reckless eating habits.
24. What are five things that you were hard on yourself about but would never have been hard on a friend if they were experiencing it? Putting on weight, not doing things perfectly, making mistakes, not being sociable enough, wasting money
25. What are the best pieces of advice you heard this year? “When faced with a crisis, immediately do nothing.”
26. What are the best pieces of advice you gave this year? “Your 8 year old has years ahead of her to angst about her weight and body. Let her have her childhood to enjoy.” “Your child will have lots of friends in her life, but only one mother. Be a mother, not a friend.”
27. What things have you been putting off doing because you didn’t have time? Cleaning out my closet, starting my next book.
28. What are some things you’d like to focus and work on in the next year? Clean eating, finding an exercise I like, getting out more, travel, having more kink in my life, writing
29. What are the best parts of you that you feel really showed through this year? Will-power, inner-strength, self-discipline
30. What are your biggest hopes for 2016? I hope I can find a goal early on and work towards it.
Thanks Buzzfeed for the questions. Happy New 2016